Newsletter 29: September Salads
When deciding upon what type of salad to make during this time of year, it's best to use produce that is as fresh and seasonal as possible.
Whether your ingredients are picked from your garden or bought from the market, foods that are harvested closest to home will offer the best value for your money, palate, and health. A few seasonal salad ingredients to look for this time of year include fruits such as apples (Red Delicious, Fuji are best for salads), pears (look for hard ones such as Williams and Conference – both widely available in Malta), and grapes, and vegetables such as fennel, cabbage (savoy is great!), cauliflower (creamy white, firm, and heavy), broccoli, lettuce (of course!), corn and carrots.
Salt and pepper
Dressing (see recipe below)
1. Wash the broccoli, cut out each floret separately and blanch in boiling water for a few minutes.
2. When they are done, drain and place them in a serving bowl.
3. Wash and cut the remaining vegetables (make sure to cut the onions really thin). Add to the broccoli. Mix well
4. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve with the dressing.
6 tbsp olive oil
4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Pinch of sugar
Salt and pepper
1. Place all ingredients in a jar, close the id and shake well to combine.
2. Dress the salad with this dressing.
3. The dressing keeps well in the fridge for a week
Bzar u melh
Dressing (ara r-ricetta hawn taht)
1. Ahsel il-brokkoli, aqta fjura fjura u ghalli ghal ftit minuti. Ara li jibqghu ibes.
2. Meta jkun saru, nehhi mill-ilma u poggi go biqja li ha sservi fiha.
3. Ahsel u qatta l-haxix l-iehor kollu. Aib mal broccoli u hawwad.
4. Roxx ftit bzar u melh u servi bid-dressing.
6 imgharef zejt taz-zebbuga
4 imgharef hall balsamiku
Melh u bzar
1. Qieghed l-ingredienti kola go vazett u ghalaq l-ghatu. Hawwad sew.
2. Ferrex dan id-dressing fuq l-insalata u hawwad kollox sew. Servi.
3. Dan id-dressing jinzamm fil-frigg u jintuza fi zmien gimgha.