Kusksu with Broad Beans – Kusksu bil-ful
400g broad beans
salt and freshly ground pepper
25g tomato paste
1lt. water or stock
200g kusksu (see note below)
- Peel the onions and garlic and chop them finely.
- In a large casserole melt the margarine and lightly fry the onions and garlic until they obtain a golden colour.
- Skin the beans from both skins.
- Put beans in a pan with plenty of water and bring to the boil. Lower heat and continue cooking till beans are tender.
- Add tomato paste, beans and water to the onions and garlic.
- Add the kusksu and continue simmering for about 12 minutes.
- Add seasoning and serve with plenty of grated cheese on top.
Note: Kusksu is different from the couscous which is a typical Arabic dish. Kusksu is made of round small pasta a little bigger than a coriander. Instead of broad beans, peas may be used.