Salt Cod Stew – Stuffat tal-Bakkaljaw
600g salt cod
1 medium cauliflower
2 cloves of garlic
8 stoned and chopped black olives
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon fresh mint
½ tablespoon ground chilli pepper. Optional
- Rinse any excess salt off the cod, and then put into a large bowl and cover with cold water and some lemon slices. Leave to soak in the fridge for at least 24 hours, changing the water three to four times. Drain flake into large pieces, discarding the skin and any bones.
- Peel and chop the onions and garlic.
- Remove the pumpkin rind and cut into cubes. Wash the cauliflower and separate the florets. Peel, wash and cut the potatoes in quarters. Put all vegetables in a bowl.
- In a large saucepan heat some oil and fry the chopped onions and garlic. Stir frequently. The onions should be just lightly brown.
- Add the vegetables, cod, olives, tomato paste, herbs and enough water to cover.
- Cover and cook on a moderate flame till the stew comes to boil.
- Lower heat and continue simmering till you have a thick and juicy stew.